Thursday, 17 September 2009

From Pru

Hi Everyone,

Not sure if this is going to work as I'm a novice at all this but here goes.

Came back from MM totally buzzing, thanks to all of you and to Sean and Alan. It was so good to break out of the isloation I'm normally in and to use language that other people understand. Suddenly I wasn't an oddball. Well, probably I am an oddball; but then so are all of you, so it didn't matter. Not sure if I really mean to say this! You know what I mean ...

Would like to share this with you. Have sent it to both Sean and Alan in a thanks you card: (really want to cut and paste it but don't know how to so will re-type):

The Way Madness Lay
(for Alan Brownjohn and Sean O'Brien)

I'm last to leave, the dreicher for it,

past autumn rowans on the downward track
dripping the deep red tears of departure,

greedy to hold the generous gifts
of minds shared, experiences proffered,

images of a student group speechless
except for thank you, thank you, thank you,

an aching from unendable laughter
and breahtless cries of 'stop', 'please stop!'

A long drive back through drizzle and fog
with Dusty, Art Tatum and Four Last Songs,

then Carmenere, candles, wood fire -
things of home; a night in my own bed

when I dreamt this poem.



Keep writing everyone.

Pru xx

2 comments:

  1. The opening lines are great here, Pru. Nice use of "dreicher" and I thought the rowans and tears simile worked really well. It was indeed hard to go back to "real life" after Arvon. Glad to see you posting here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh, I've still got a rowan sprig on my desk, and still chuckling everytime I see my Ludbrooke pamphlet, and remember you saying "Please stop"!
    The rowan bit is truly lovely (not a very poetic comment but ahh well nevermind)

    ReplyDelete